[The following Mission and Vision statements were adopted formally by the Board of Trustees at their March 2006 meeting.]
Mission and Vision
Shawnee Mission Unitarian Universalist Church
· INVITE everyone into a caring community
· INSPIRE the search for spiritual growth
· INVOLVE all in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world
Our Membership Vision
We are a loving, caring, compassionate, and actively growing faith community. Our diverse membership invites all seekers to a positive and supportive environment for spiritual growth and personal enrichment. We do this by
· Welcoming visitors warmly.
· Eliminating barriers to membership.
· Matching member needs and interests with new or existing small and large group activities.
· Challenging members to explore and deepen their spirituality.
· Promoting member involvement by sharing, encouraging, and developing their talents and leadership.
· Reviewing and evaluating programs on a regular basis, and modifying them as needed.
Our Worship Vision
SMUUCh has a rich worship life in which its mission and values are apparent. We do this by
· Gathering for worship services that are engaging, relevant, and inspiring.
· Featuring music and artistic expression that enhance the worship experience.
· Involving people of all ages in the experience of worship.
· Offering opportunities to worship in a variety of styles, group sizes, and locations and at times other than Sunday morning.
Our Religious Education Vision
High quality religious education is an important part of our church ministry to children, youth, and adults. We accomplish this by
· Offering rich program choices for all ages.
· Offering opportunities for exploration of our own and other religions.
· Providing engaging programs for youth as they transition into adulthood.
· Supporting families as primary religious educators.
Our Outreach Vision
SMUUCh is visible and recognized throughout the Kansas City area as a liberal religious community. We do this by
· Having a presence in the media through news stories and advertising.
· Hosting events that promote our values and that are designed to attract people to our community.
· Increasing our visibility in the community through social action.
Our Social Action Vision
We are viewed as a leader and a resource for community service and social justice within the Kansas City metropolitan area. We challenge our congregation to get involved by
· Partnering with other churches.
· Collaborating with community service organizations.
· Participating in social justice causes individually and collectively.
Our Staff/Leadership Vision
We have leaders at all levels within SMUUCh who guide and support consistent, excellent programming for all ages. We do this by
· Hiring qualified professional and support staff to meet current needs as well as positioning us for growth.
· Implementing a systematic volunteer recruitment, training, and recognition program.
· Encouraging members to develop and utilize their talents in a wide variety of volunteer opportunities, while strengthening the leadership of our community.
Our Facilities Vision
SMUUCh has buildings and grounds that support and reflect our mission and values. We do this by
· Providing appropriate facilities for worship, fellowship, education, programs, events, and staff.
· Allowing for growth of the congregation.
· Providing a welcoming environment for members and visitors.
· Being accessible to people with varied abilities.
· Following and promoting responsible environmental principles.
· Communicating our identity as a religious community.
Our Stewardship Vision
We have adequate financial, material, and human resources to realize the mission and vision of our church. We do this by
· Promoting an attitude of cheerful giving among our members.
· Encouraging each member to contribute money, material, and time according to their ability and the church’s needs.
· Responsibly managing the financial, physical, and human resources entrusted to our care.