Friday, July 21, 2006

Summer Reading

Here's what I've been reading this Summer:

I've continued on my David Foster Wallace binge, reading his first novel, The Broom of the System, as well as his book on the mathematics of infinity, Everything and More.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I finally got around to reading Tracy Kidder's biography of Dr. Paul Farmer, Mountains Beyond Mountains, which had been sitting on my bookshelf for far too long. I wish I had read it months ago!

In the world of Unitarian Universalism I am reading the new collection of essays by Rebecca Parker, Blessing the World (which I will be preaching about on August 13) as well as the collection of essays edited by Kathleen Rolenz, Christian Voices in Unitarian Universalism. The latter was the fifth highest selling title at General Assembly.

Still moved by Bill Schulz's lecture, "What Torture has Taught Me", I decided to pick up Torture and Modernity by Darius Rejali. A sermon on this subject is forthcoming.

Finally, I'm hoping to find the time to get around to reading Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami.