Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer Travels

With the beginning of August I have returned from all my Summer travels. Here is the travelogue:

In late June I spent a week in St. Louis attending the UUA General Assembly and Ministry Days professional development programs. My time their included meeting with the UU Minister's Association Executive Committee (to which I was elected), having a conversation on growth with the UUA Board Growth Working Group, and delivering the keynote address to the annual meeting of the UU Christian Fellowship.

In early July I was flown to Washington D.C. to speak about working with faith based constituencies at the national Gloria Steinem Leadership Institute sponsored by ChoiceUSA. I stayed the weekend and visited with two friends from high school. We toured the National Portrait Gallery, Spy Museum, and took in a Washington Nationals baseball game. (I'll be returning to D.C. in September to perform a wedding ceremony for my friend.)

In July I also took a trip to Portland, Oregon and the Oregon Coast. (See the picture below.)

Finally, I also went home for a few days to visit my parents. As always, this meant a scrabble tournament with my mom. (I won 4 games to 3 but needed a seven-letter, triple word on my final move to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. This avenged the tournament loss to her last November.) Just call me the David Ortiz of scrabble.



Me in front of the world's largest fir tree.