On Sunday, September 2nd I will be preaching on this book and examining some of its bold suggestions, such as religion becoming the fourth "r" of American public education alongside reading, writing, and arithematic.
So, I bet you are wondering: How religiously literate are you? Prothero's book begins with a handy quiz. I've reprinted the quiz from this website. Take it and see how you do. I've hidden the answers on another section of the blog. Good luck and no cheating!
1) Name the four Gospels. List as many as you can.
2) Name a sacred text of Hinduism.
3) What is the name of the holy book of Islam?
4) Where according to the Bible was Jesus born?
5) President George W. Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho road. What Bible story was he invoking?
6) What are the first five books of the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Old Testament?
7) What is the Golden Rule?
8) "God helps those who help themselves": Is this in the Bible? If so, where?
9) "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God": Does this appear in the Bible? If so, where?
10) Name the Ten Commandments. List as many as you can.
11) Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.
12) What are the seven sacraments of Catholicism? List as many as you can.
13) The First Amendment says two things about religion, each in its own "clause." What are the two religious clauses of the First Amendment?
14) What is Ramadan? In what religion is it celebrated?
15) Match the Bible characters with the stories in which they appear. Draw a line from the one to the other. (Hint: Some characters may be matched with more than one story or vice versa)
Adam and Eve
Binding of Isaac
Garden of Eden
Parting of the Red Sea
Road to Damascus
Garden of Gethsemane
Want to see how you did? Click here!