Friday, February 01, 2008

Day 13: 29 Days of Gratitude

While I was coming up with practices of gratitude to recommend for the month of February, my mind immediately turned to the Holy Days and Holidays that are observed this month: Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday, Valentine's Day and President's Day. (Unfortunately, the Jewish celebration of Purim does not occur in the month of February this year. The Pagan holy day of Imbolc does occur in February but I over-looked it.)

However, in my searching I did find a fascinating web-site that lists every possible celebration you can imagine. According to this site, February is both "Bake for Family Fun Month" and "National Cherry Pie Month." (It also happens to be, among many others, "National Bird Feeding Month", "National Weddings Month"(?), "Return Shopping Carts to the Supermarket Month", and "Spunky Old Broads Month.")

In my sermon on January 27th, I cut this section on baking because I was short on time. I would have said,
What does baking have to do with gratitude? On the surface, nothing. But go deeper. If you bake with somebody, can you be thankful for time spent in another’s company? If you bake for somebody, can the act of baking be an act of love and an expression of gratitude? Or, ask the Ancient Hebrews. In the Jewish tradition, they commemorate Passover with the eating of unleavened bread, Matzoh. The ancient story tells of the Hebrews needing to flee so suddenly from Egypt that the bread had no chance to rise. For the rest of the year eating risen bread calls to mind freedom and having a settled home. And then, there is the miracle of nature, the magical alchemy of yeast that makes the bread rise.
Practice: I invite you to bake something on Wednesday, February 13th and to use the paragraph above to make your baking an act of gratitude.

Plus, what you bake today may come in handy tomorrow...

No comments: