Saturday, June 07, 2008

State of the Blog

Dear Readers,

Once or twice a year I like to make a general post addressed to my readership. The RevThom blog was created in September 2005 as a way of communicating to the members of the church I serve, the Shawnee Mission Unitarian Universalist Church in Overland Park. The blog's primary purpose was to archive my sermons and provide a forum for other forms of communication.

This year I have added some additional features:
1) A booklist with commentary on what I have been reading.
2) The Month of Gratitude spiritual practice challenge in February.
3) The Gossip Column (whose name is intentionally mis-leading) that provides a forum for addressing the congregation I serve in ways that wouldn't normally work in a sermon.
4) The brand new 52 Songs in 52 Weeks feature of musical essays.

So, dear reader, I would love to hear back from you. How often do you read the blog? Have you ever quoted me in a sermon, blog post, term paper, etc? What do you enjoy most? What would you like to see me add? I'd love it if you were to introduce yourself, especially if I don't know you. You can email me at: minister [at] smuuchurch.org

Two disclaimers: In the past I have received feedback that it is hard to read long sermons in the blog format. This is true. If this is the case for you, I would recommend copying the text and posting it into the word processing document you use and then printing it. Also, while I would love to add audio and video to the blog, I'm pretty technologically slow. If you have had success with this in the blogspot format, please send me a note and let me know. (Plus, there are only so many hours in the day.)

But mostly, I would love to hear from people who read the blog. If you live in Kansas City, drop by the church sometime. If you live outside of Kansas City, send me a note and say "Hello." Also, if you are especially grateful that this blog exists, you are welcome to send a donation to the church I serve:

Shawnee Mission Unitarian Universalist Church
7725 W. 87th Street
Overland Park, Kansas
66212

Thank for reading and I look forward to hearing from you!