Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reading in 2008: The Year in Review

With 2008 coming to a close, here is a quick glance at my year in reading:

In 2008 I completed 44 books totaling 9,941 pages. Regrettably, that is 9 fewer books and over 1,600 fewer pages than I read the previous year.

In case you are interested, here is the breakdown:

I read 14 books by women, 23 books by men, and 7 books of collected writings that included both male and female contributors.

As for the types of books I read, these included: 6 novels, 14 works of non-fiction, 4 books of poetry, 5 collections of short stories, 2 graphic novels, and 13 religiously-themed books. You can read about these books in more detail here.

My five favorite books that I read in 2008 were:

5) Bowl of Cherries by Millard Kaufman
4) The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell
3) What Narcissism Means to Me by Tony Hoagland
2) The Death of Adam by Marilynne Robinson
1) The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian