Tuesday, August 18, 2009

List #10: A Dozen Birthday Cards

Over the past several weeks I have been going non-stop trying to get all the wrinkles smoothed out before my sabbatical begins. In the process I’ve fallen dreadfully behind in card writing. My birthday was this past Saturday which produced a greater than usual influx of cards. This week’s list re-caps some of the card high points. Please note the cards are not ranked.

1) My niece Sofia (with some help from my sister) sent me a computer-generated card.
2) My sister Mayra and her husband Kevin sent me a Barack Obama themed birthday card.
3) SMUUCh’s Music Director, Dave Simmons, gave me a musical card that plays Mozart when you open it.
4) Anne, my love, gave me a card with a quote by Emerson on the front, “Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year.”
5) My parents sent me a tender card!
6) Jennifer Forker sent me a card featuring an Ecuadorian woman on the front holding a hand-knit sweater. The card’s purchase goes to support FINCA an organization that does micro-lending in developing countries.
7) Someone from the church sent me an anonymous card with geese in flight on the front. Anonymous cards usually make me groan but this one included a matching pair of crisp $50 bills. So I won’t complain. But it would be nice to know whom to thank.

Continuing with the animal theme:
8) The F. family sent me a card with two adorable cartoon dogs and a cupcake with a candle in it. One of the dogs is sitting in a decorative basket.
9) The P. family, who have over the years sent me many slightly edgy cards that I have loved, sent one with a cartoon dog imploring me to remember that even though I’m older than I’ve been before, I’m also younger than I’ll ever be again.
10) B. from church sent me a card with a picture of a fat cat sitting on the couch thinking about how nice it would be to have a tuna sandwich.
11) J. from church sent me a card with Tweetie Bird on it.

12) H. from church sent me an anti-card. In it he explained his decision that most cards are heedless expenses and that he’d taken to writing people letters for their birthdays instead while setting aside $4 each time to donate to the Minister’s Discretionary Fund, a special fund held by the church that assists those in our community when they face financial hardship. Thank you for the letter, H, and thank you for the check for $32.