Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: A Year in Reading in Review (+10 Favorite Books of 2009)

One of the regular features I include on this blog is an annotated list of all the books I read each year. You can find my list for 2009 here and my lists for other years here.

As we come to the end of 2009 I want to take the briefest of looks back at my year in reading in 2009. Each year I set the goal of reading 52 books (one book per week) and 12,000 pages (1,000 pages per month.) I am actually not a super-quick reader so these goals are reasonable. In 2009 I again fell just short of my goal. It was the third straight year I've set this goal and the third straight year I've fallen short.

Here is the breakdown of books read in 2009:

Of the 46 books I read this past year I read:

8 Novels
16 Works of non-fiction
6 Collections of short stories
3 Collections of essays
3 Volumes of poetry
8 Books about religion, spirituality, or theology; and
2 Works of humor

Gender: I read 25 books by men, 11 books by women, and 10 books that were co-written by women and men.

Race and ethnicity: 39 of the books I read were by white authors; 7 were by people of color.

Finally, let me wrap up this wrap up by listing my ten favorite books I read in 2009:

10) Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party - by Max Blumenthal
9) The Invention of Air: A Story of Science, Faith, Revolution, and the Birth of America - by Steven Johnson
8) Boomsday - by Christopher Buckley
7) McSweeney's 32
6) An American Childhood - by Annie Dillard
5) The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University - by Kevin Roose
4) The Writing Life - by Annie Dillard
3) One Perfect Day: The Selling of the American Wedding - by Rebecca Mead
2) White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son - by Tim Wise
1) State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America - edited by Matt Weiland and Sean Wilsey